Sunday, May 6, 2007

Road Trip!

This weekend's road trip hardly qualified as such - really, we just wanted to get out of town while Bloomsday was being run. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that 40,000 people want to participate in a 12k road race through the middle of Spokane. I just don't want to be here while they do it.

So, early this morning we threw our bikes on the rack and headed an hour east to Cataldo, Idaho. There's a trailhead for the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes, and if you ride east from the trailhead, you'll have many miles of paved, scenic, flat trail running along the Coeur d'Alene river.

(Gratuitous bike shot. I love my bike.)

The trail was deserted this morning, unless you count the deer, blue jays, chipmunks, turtles, meadowlarks, swallows, ducks, geese (with goslings!), and muskrat. And of course, like most of North Idaho, the trail is absolutely sick with scenery.

It's too bad we can't live someplace nice, with pretty things to look at.

4 comments:

Puzzled said...

There's a Joyceless Bloomsday? I had no idea!

Someday we'll come visit you and you'll have to show us all these pretty places. Beware!

And one of these days, I'll rescue my bicycle from the ignominy of storage, because it has no idea that I still love it. Soon...baby...soon.

Meg said...

Sounds like a beautiful day. And dude! I love your bike too. Is it vintage or retro?

Beth said...

The bike is a Townie, by Electra. Definitely retro - I love having 21 gears for all of our hills!

And actually, Puzz, Bloomsday isn't Joyceless. The founder of Bloomsday was a Joyce scholar, and definitely named it with ol' Leopold in mind.

gaelstat said...

The plain people of Ireland object in the strongest possible terms to this misappropriation of the name Bloomsday, which as any fool knows falls every year on ... (Sinéad - hand us down your copy of Ulysses, would you. No, not that one ... the one with the dirty bits). Oh, never mind.

Anyway. The ppoI would like to object.